Page views ☺

Friday 12 July 2013

It was frustrating to play a character role: Karan Goddwani



From audio engineering to acting — Karan Goddwani's life took a U-turn and got him to Tellytown from Spain. He might have started off his telly stint as the male lead in 'Jugni Chali Jalandhar', but Karan became a household name only after he played the loveable NRI NK in 'Iss Pyaar Ko Kya Naam Doon'? From being the main protagonist to a character actor was not a shift that most actors would like, but Karan claims he enjoyed doing IPKKND a lot and the length of his role didn't really matter. 

Now, Karan's playing a central figure in the upcoming laugh riot, Mrs Pammi Pyarelal. In town for a promotional trip, Karan mouthed the same line that most visiting celebs seem to have well-rehearsed when he said he was looking forward to "indulging in the Gujarati thali. We do get it in Mumbai, but it's important to try it in Ahmedabad considering it's the local cuisine." 

About his upcoming show, Karan seems upbeat, "I am thrilled to work with Gaurav Gera. Even though he's been around for so long, he is so much fun to be with. And there's a lot to learn from him." Karan has done three comic roles back to back, isn't he scared of being stereotyped? "I want to give a natural touch to every role I do. If can handle comedy and audiences enjoy it, I'll continue doing that. But I am also looking forward to doing some serious and even romantic ones. I want to be a versatile actor." 

Was Karan upset when he didn't bag a lead role post Jugni..? He says, "It was tough for me, because I had no godfather or contacts in showbiz. I made it on my own. I was frustrated when I didn't get a lead role post Jugni.... But my positive approach kept me going. It's very important to be visible when you are a TV actor. My family has been my biggest support system. I have also been associated with good people at work. I've been reading motivational books, and they were of great help during my low phase." 

Karan claims that he was always inclined to become an actor. "I was actively involved in drama and dancing right from my school days. I joined a dance troupe in Mumbai and post that I landed a TV show." 

On a parting note we asked him if he's single, and Karan coyly shared, "I'm committed. She is not from the entertainment industry. We've been together for sometime now, but I don't wish to give more details. Sometimes we get misquoted and I don't want any turbulence or misunderstandings between me and my girl."

No comments:

Post a Comment